On Jan 6, 4:41 am, Chunlei  Wu <reill...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>        We have a web app running on Django 1.0 / modwsgi 2.0 / Apache

Latest mod_wsgi is 2.3, you should really think about upgrading. :-)

> 2.2.3. Sparsely, about 2~3 times a week, I receive emails about
> IOError as below:

>   File "/projects/prod/python/2.5.1/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/
> core/handlers/wsgi.py", line 69, in safe_copyfileobj
>     buf = fsrc.read(min(length, size))
>
> IOError: request data read error
>
> Mostly it happens on the root URL, but there is a case from other URL.
> I suspect that it is related to the network connection problem, but I
> can not re-produce it. Can anybody explain what  doe this error mean
> exactly? Thanks.

It means that low level Apache functions returned an error when trying
to read request content.

Unfortunately, the particular Apache function used to get the request
content is one that effectively looses the even lower level Apache
error number which would be useful in qualifying what caused the
problem. In other words, the Apache function just says there was an
error and not what it was. Technically some different set of Apache
functions could be used to do the same thing, without loss of the
error code when a problem does occur, but that is a bit trickier and
involves more work. Changing how it is done might occur, but not soon.

More than likely though, it is a variation on another error that can
come back when reading request content as described in:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/issues/detail?id=29

That one can occur when user/client aborts the connection. This can
occur when they are trigger happy on the reload button.

To try and reproduce it, perhaps perform a file upload and before it
has completed keep pressing the reload button for the page.

Graham