I did a lot of symfony stuff on the side about a year ago, and now
it's the framework that I we use for our frontend servers at
Delicious.com.  It was through symfony that I found out about Django,
and started using it quite a bit... so I know a bit about the two
frameworks.  Or rather, I know a lot about symfony, but much of that
is being replaced with stuff I'm learning about Django.

As PHP MVC frameworks go, symfony is great.  It borrows from where it
needs to, to give you a good suite of tools.  The direction it is
heading in is also nice.

The new 1.1/1.2 series supports Doctrine which was a lot nicer than
Propel when Iast looked at the two.

The nice thing about using symfony is the developer of symfony uses
Django from time to time, and borrows from it where appropriate.  I'd
wage that you'd see more in common with Django and symfony than any
other PHP framework.

Cheers,

-d