On Wed, 2009-01-07 at 21:46 +0000, tofer...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 07.01-13:40, Jeff Anderson wrote:
> [ ... ]
> > > please troll somewhere else.
> > >
> > I wasn't trolling, thank you. I was genuinely interested in how this
> > would look.
>
> my apologies, i mis-read your terse questioning.
>
> a 'blank' value is essentially undefined in database terms and may be
> interpreted in various ways.

Not, that's a NULL value. Blank has absolutely no technical meaning at
the database level and certainly not any kind of ambiguous one. That's
just confusing the issue.

You're correct that Django uses it as a data-entry-level term meaning
that the field was left blank, but wishing/hoping that it also
substitutes as NULL isn't making things any clearer.

As far as I'm concerned, this issue kind of died when somebody pointed
out the binary field case. That's a minimally valid example of why the
separation makes sense still.

Regards,
Malcolm