On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Tim Valenta <tonightslasts...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all.  Just trying to make django serve my static media files
> (css is my main test case right now) during development.  I've
> included the lines in my URLconf as instructed by this page:
> http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/static-files/
>
> My issue is that this line is causing a 500 error when my site's main
> template HTML requests a URL that falls into the regex for a static
> file serve.  The error says:
>
> ViewDoesNotExist: Could not import mysite.django.views.static. Error
> was: No module named django.views.static
>
> The issue here is that it's trying to root the search for the
> 'static.serve' package in "mysite".

This seems to indicate you are using 'mysite as the common prefix
for your application views, something like

urlpatterns = patterns('mysite',

then the URL dispatcher concatenates the prefix and the
name of the views you specified, including the static file
serving one.

Something you can do to accommodate both requeriments
is to group the patterns with different prefixes.
See http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/http/urls/#the-view-prefix
and
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/http/urls/#multiple-view-prefixes
for details.