To answer my own question... I got some help at work, and established
that the login was failing because it is using the hashed password,
not the raw one.

That means that there is no way for me to use the activation stage to
log the person in (apart from asking them for their details again). I
can understand that from a security point of view, but that means my
best bet for logging them in is to do so before they are activated.

Therefore I'll log them in immediately and use activation just to make
them active.

The impact is that I can't use @login_required for many of my views,
I'll have to use the passes test check:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/auth/#django.contrib.auth.decorators.user_passes_test

Hopefully if someone finds themselves in the same position, this will
help... this is probably a better solution longer term, as I'll be
using group permissions as well.

-Alastair