On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:35 AM, Taylor <trfl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, that makes sense.  Thanks for the link to Python timing!
>
> Can anyone familiar with the internals of django's serialization and
> templating offer any suggestions?

My suggestion is this: Try it.

I can't say I've ever done a comparative performance analysis of the
template system vs the XML serializer myself, and I can't think of any
example I've seen in the blogisphere, either, so the best you can do
is try it yourself and see what you find.

Here are a few general comments that might help:

Django's XML serializer is really just a light wrapper over the Python
SAX XMLGenerator. The only difference is that the serialization format
is essentially fixed. If you roll your own XML serializer, you'll have
to go through essentially the same boilerplate code to traverse the
Django model structure, but you will be able to specify your own XML
schema.

The Python standard library contains several ways to generate XML. The
SAX libraries are fairly easy to use, but they may not be the fastest
option.

If you use the template system, you won't get any guarantees about XML
well-formedness - my crystal ball predicts that this will become the
black hole where bugs lie in this technique.

Another thing to consider - when you say "fastest", do you mean
development time or execution time? Your existing level of expertise
with XML APIs and the Django template framework will effect
development time.

Lastly - are you getting hung up on a performance analysis that really
doesn't matter? If you're going to be serializing gigabytes of data,
then it might matter, but if you will be pushing out a 20 line XML
file once a minute, the difference between native XML generation and
template generation could almost be reduced to a rounding error. Make
sure you're not getting into premature optimization.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)