On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 19:57 -0800, mb0...@googlemail.com wrote:
> Ah, ok thanks for the explanation :)

Alex's explanation is correct (as his explanations tend to be). I just
wanted to add some extra thoughts to that...

"Normally" (which might well mean "hopefully") it shouldn't matter
whether you're getting back an iterator or a list (which is still
iterable) at that point in the code. I could imagine or construct code
that behaves differently in the two cases, but do you have a real-life
case where the change in type is causing a problem?

Slicing on querysets, particularly as it interacts with caching and with
all the different things that people try to do, is one of the really
hard areas to get right. In fact, it's one of the few areas of the ORM
where there are still known behavioural bugs, although fortunately it's
not something that will affect many people (and to be fixed before
Django 1.1 and 1.0.3 come out, with luck). So whilst not every wish can
be granted in this area, even all reasonable wishes, it would be
interesting to know whether this is causing unreasonable levels of
difficulty somewhere.

Regards,
Malcolm