On Jan 28, 1:25 pm, João Olavo Baião de Vasconcelos
<joaool...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that I realised what is the problem.
>
> Karen, just add a TextField to the Book model (say, "description =
> models.TextField()"), try to search for something and you'll see that error
> message. I'm not 100% sure about it, coz I tested this at work and then came
> home.
>
> Probably is the same bug reported
> here:http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/4186

Yes, that's the problem.  The admin automatically adds .distinct() to
the queryset whenever one of the search fields is in a related model,
which would trigger the error.  If you drop the `author__name` field
and just search over 'title', I think you'll find that it works.

This is a limitation of Oracle, and there's not a whole lot we can do
about it, other than to suggest you not structure your models that
way.  Probably your best solution will be to put the TextField in a
separate one-to-one related model.  If you do that, and you avoid
using the `list_select_related` admin option, and you exclude the
related model from the `list_display` admin option, then you should be
okay.

Regards,
Ian