Hi Karen, and thanks for the reply.

I've always wanted to use the 1-1 field, but whenever a new parent
record is added, I want it to automatically add (via the save() )
ovoerride above to the child 1-1 table.

Yes, the debug does print, and the above code seems to work from the
shell too, it's just when I try to create a new record from the shell,
using the above model code, it doesn't work.  I'm thinking I'm missing
something simple?

I wonder if I should create the child record with :

hs = hostsetting(host=h)
hs.save()

?

I hope this helps you find my bug.