OK - figured this out by myself.

- Need the Gnuwin32 version of make
- then need to install sphinx and all it's dependencies.  Simple with
easy_install
- then edit Makefile to adjust it to handle win32 commands, primarily
the use of backslashes:

On Unix/Linux:
 mkdir -p _build/html _build/doctrees

On win32:
 mkdir _build\html _build\doctrees

and change this line:
 $(SPHINXBUILD) -b html $(ALLSPHINXOPTS) _build\html
to use backslash instead of forward slash in the path at the end.

And then it works like it should.