felix wrote:

> I'm trying to implement the standard option "remember me on this computer"
>
> which in practice means expire the session or not at the end of the
> session
No it doesn't: you want the session to end when the user logs out,
otherwise in a large site you would end up needing a huge session store.

> it looks like django's auth uses a sitewide setting
> SESSION_EXPIRE_AT_BROWSER_CLOSE
>
> does anybody know the best way to approach this ?   is it the
> SessionMiddleware that should be replaced ?

What you need is to send a cookie that you can use to identify the user
to the site when they come back to the login page. The view that renders
the login page sees the cookie and fills in the correct username, so the
user only has to enter the password to log in.

More and more users are using the browser to store usernames and
passwords anyway, sot he "remember me" option isn't used as much as it
used to be.

regards
 Steve