It seems that after rev. 9766 ImageFieldFile's save() method (where it
sets values for height_field and width_field) is bypassed when saving
the file (at least with the admin). I use FieldFiles that inherit from
ImageFieldFile (for example in django-thumbs code (thanks for
reporting the issue, Andrew)) and I override the ImageFieldFile's save
() method with custom code. That code doesn't get executed when saving
the file with the admin when using rev.9766 and later revisions.

Regards,
Antonio Melé
http://django.es/