On Feb 3, 9:49 am, Joshua Russo <joshua.rupp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm working through the tutorials and have encountered a strange
> problem. So far everything works but Python doesn't acknowledge my
> base site as a package. So everywhere that you see a reference like
> "mysite.poll" I need to use only "poll". I think that my problems stem
> from the following section that starts on line 263 of tutorial01.txt:

Make sure you're not mispelling 'polls'.  You've typed 'poll' above.
If you're talking about the settings, yes you don't need to specify
mysite.polls since the settings.py file is already in the mysite
directory.  You could just put 'polls' into installed apps.

> To create your app, make sure you're in the :file:`mysite` directory
> and type
> this command:
>
> .. code-block:: bash
>
>     python manage.py startapp polls
>
> I ran the above command from my MySite directory that holds the
> manage.py file. Is that correct? Anyone have any ideas why I can't
> reference my base package? (I think I'm using the term package
> correctly here.)
>
> Thanks
> Josh

As far as I see your doing it correctly.  For technical purposes, the
way that I see it (and the way django defines it):
mysite = project
polls = app
I'm not quite sure what you're referring to as base package.  Hope
this helps.