From: django-users@googlegroups.com
[mailto:django-us...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Russell Keith-Magee
Sent: 05 February 2009 22:53
To: django-users@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [slightly offtopic] Which Python are people using on OSX?

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:07 AM, cjl <cjl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been on Windows and Linux for many years, and recently picked up
> a Macbook Pro for the fun of it.
>
> To be honest, I'm kind of disappointed with the Python included with
> Leopard. I spent some time googling around to see what my options are
> for running Python 2.6.1, and came up with this list:
>
> 1. Use the stock Python, slightly outdated 2.5.1, with weird and
> incomplete modules.

This is what I do currently, and I have done for almost a year (since
I got my latest laptop). I'm not sure what you consider to be the
"wierd and incomplete modules" - the only two problems I have had are
with PIL and MySQL, and the MySQL problem is more about MySQL than
Django or Python.

> 3. Use MacPorts Python. Anyone know why the nearly all of Xorg gets
> built as a dependency?

I did this on my last computer. It worked fine; as a bonus, it was
easy (well.. easier) to switch between pacakge versions for testing. I
don't remember X.org being a dependency - there may be an option to
turn this off.

Anyway, YMMV. At the end of the day, do whatever works for you and you
are comfortable with.

Yours
Russ Magee %-)

This email has been scanned by MessageLabs on its way into Stainless.