Isn't there a broader problem than just django.forms? Now that Django
1.0 seems to stand on the XHTML side, it encourages re-usable app
authors to generate XHTML instead of HTML in their default templates
as well as in any markup their apps might be generating
programmatically.

I have to admit that I've been ignorant re the HTML/XHTML debate, and
only now I skimmed through a pile of arguments on both sides. It
doesn't look like there will be a consensus any time soon (although
the HTML side convinced me better today).

To make sure most re-usable apps can serve both standards, too, Django
probably needs to provide appropriate tools for developers, right?