On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 8:43 PM, jfmxl <jf...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Feb 9, 5:21 pm, Russell Keith-Magee <freakboy3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:58 PM, jfmxl <jf...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I am new to python and I guess you hadn't bothered to read the
> elementary tutorial that I was following. I should have been more
> specific:

Specifics always help. And FYI: I have read the tutorial. I'm one of
the core developers of Django, so I'm well aware of what the tutorial
says.

> So it was in response to that advice that I "saw he installation docs
> for more information" and didn't find the relief spoken of and so
> wrote here.
>
> Thanks for your help, but I still am having a problem.

Without seeing your code, its almost impossible to determine the cause
of your problem. My initial guess would be that one of three things
has happened:

 1) You haven't actually saved the models.py file where you have
defined the __unicode__() methods. An obvious error, but a
surprisingly common one.

 2) You haven't restarted your python shell - you've just continued
working with an old shell. You need to start a new Python shell
session to force the models.py file to be reloaded.

 3) You've misspelled __unicode__ in your models.py file. Most likely
culprit here - using single underscores rather than double underscores
in the method name. The method needs to be called _ _ unicode _ _
(self). If you  have used a different name, you won't see an error
(since the alternate name will be a valid Python method name) but it
won't generate the output you expect.

If you post your example code as it currently stands, we may be able
to provide more assistance.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)