Dear community,
On some of our models we'd like to override Django's default "on
delete cascade". (Customers that use our modified version of the
Django-admin have proven to pay no attention at all to the messages
that warn them for the deletion of multiple objects. It seems that a
solution on the software side is more appropriate here than trying to
educate our clients.) I've found that this subject has come up every
now and then on this list, but it's unclear to me what's our best
option.

Via an old "restrict delete"-patch (http://code.djangoproject.com/
ticket/1007) through ticket 2288 I've found an interesting patch that
sends out "all_objects_to_be_deleted in the pre_delete signal (http://
code.djangoproject.com/ticket/6108). A solution through signals seems
very interesting to me, but there's no activity on this ticket since
August last year.

An other interesting option is a patch that allows to override the
cascading behaviour by using an attribute on foreignkeys that can be
set to "SET_NULL" or "RESTRICT" (http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/
7539). For this ticket there hasn't been much activity since last year
either.

I currently don't know what my best options are... Any input would be
greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Erwin