On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 6:31 AM, Lee Braiden <fallibledra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What exactly is the reasoning behind this advice?  It seems to me that
> one would very rarely want to store an empty string.  For example, if
> a user doesn't enter a surname, that does not mean that their surname
> is "", unless they're Cher.

As covered in the documentation, the advice is intended to avoid cases
where there are two different possible values which represent "no
value for this field" (an empty string, or a NULL). Allowing both can
make for more complicated queries since, for example, a row which has
an empty string will still be returned by an "IS NOT NULL" query (and,
correspondingly, a row with a NULL will be returned by a query which
checks only that the value does not equal "").