On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 7:30 AM, mermer <merme...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Since I've upgraded to Django ver 1.00,  I'm suddenly getting the
> following error with my ImageFields.
>
> The tag is {{ model.image.url}} and it throws an error if the image
> field in the database is null (even if it is set to null in the model)
>
> Am I missing something?  Here is the error message being generated.
>

> TemplateSyntaxError at /offer_detail_ver2/1/
>
> Caught an exception while rendering: The 'image' attribute has no file
> associated with it.

There was some major file storage refactoring done before 1.0, which I'd
guess introduced a requirement that attempting to retrieve the url
associated with a file-type object requires a file to be associated with
that object.  A little experimenting in the shell shows that now where {{
m.file.url }} generates the exception you report in the case where m.file
has no file,

{% if m.file %}{{ m.file.url }}{% endif %}

does not.  I didn't work on the file storage refactor so I don't know if
this was an intentional difference, and I haven't checked if this was
explicitly documented as a backwards-incompatible change, but it seems
not-so-surprising that such a method would require a file to be set, and
easy enough to adjust to?

Karen