On Feb 23, 2009, at 5:20 PM, Graham Dumpleton wrote:

> The approach for mod_python documented in that link, and equivalent
> for mod_wsgi, are only good for HTTP Basic authentication, it is no
> good if you want the page to be authenticated using HTML form/cookie
> based authentication as Django uses.

Assuming you can add an Apache module, or use lighttpd or nginx, you
can write a Django view to handle the authorization, then delegate the
actual file delivery to your web server. I think Perlbal also has its
reproxy feature to do this.

It's been covered a few times in this group:

http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/search?group=django-users&q=sendfile&qt_g=Search+this+group

Links:

   http://tn123.ath.cx/mod_xsendfile/

   http://blog.lighttpd.net/articles/2006/07/02/x-sendfile