Ok, I figured this out myself...

I had to un-install all pre-installed odbc stuff - unixODBC (possibly
iODBC as well, except it didn't seem to actually uninstall completely)
and FreeTDS.

I then got source and did configure/make/make installs of unixODBC
first, then FreeTDS.
This order is important so that the ./configure command can find all
the right stuff.
An important note is the params for the FreeTDS ./configure command.
I used the following:

$ ./configure --with-unixodbc=/usr/local  --enable-msdblib --disable-
libiconv --with-tdsver=8.0

Anyway, it's working now without complaint!

:v)