On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 12:24 -0800, Joshua Russo wrote:
> Think I found a bug in the ManyRelatedManager that occurs when you try
> to include a ManyToManyField relation in an admin edit page. I
> personally tried to have the relational table/module as an inline
> display of primary entity module. It seems to have been missing the
> __unicode__ / __str__ methods. If you add the following code to the
> ManyRelatedManager it seems to work fine.
>
>         def __str__(self):
>             return self.__unicode__()

That's a really bad idea. __str__ must return a Python "str" object.
__unicode__ must return a Python "unicode" object. So returning the
result of one from the other is wrong. At a minimum, you have to do some
encoding to UTF-8.

As regards the general issue, I don't understand from your brief
description what you are trying to do here. So, when you open a ticket
for this (and that's by far the best way to propose a patch, since
things on the mailing list will be forgotten or overlooked), include a
very short example demonstrating how to repeat the problem -- something
as simple as possible. A bug that cannot be repeated cannot be evaluated
or fixed.

Read the  contributing document for Django to see how to generate a
patch and submit it:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/#internals-contributing

Regards,
Malcolm