On Sat, 2009-03-07 at 22:59 -0800, Matt Doran wrote:
[...]
> The whole
> "startproject" thing and the default layout feels like it's forcing me
> to make decisions that I'm not ready to (i.e. it's on page 1 of the
> tutorial).

Hmmm. "startproject" doesn't require you to make any decisions at all.
Kind of the whole point of it.

>  I guess experienced developers usually ask at this point
> "why do I need to do it this way?", "what compromises am I making?",
> "will I regret these decisions later?".

That would be more appropriate for an intermediate or advanced tutorial
and one day somebody might write that.

A lot of people doing the introductory tutorial can barely use Python,
so we aim to make it as proscriptive as possible, since the idea at that
point is to "do the tutorial and get introduced to Django", not "create
an application to put into production".

Bear in mind that there is a huge ability range in the potential
readership. That's always the hard thing with documentation. Personally,
I think Django shades a fraction too much towards the beginner level, at
the expense of the more advanced users, but it's only a small swing and
we are always tweaking the balance. However, the tutorial isn't a place
where I think that happens. A beginner tutorial is most appropriate to
have and we have one.

Regards,
Malcolm