Hi Russell,
Thanks for the response. I'll admit, since I posted, I waved my hand
at the problem and imported all of my data through postgres. But I
think my problem might be related to what you describe below:

> > "Installing json fixture 'data2' from absolute path."
>
> This gives the first hint as to what might be going on - where is the
> data2 fixture located? It's possible that the fixture that you think
> is being loaded isn't actually the one that is being loaded. The
> 'absolute path' message suggests that there is a data2 fixture in your
> project directory (i.e., the directory where manage.py is located). If
> budtype.json is actually .../app/fixtures/budtype.json, the actual
> error here could be that you have a stray data2 fixture that is being
> picked up by Django's fixture discovery procedure.

The data2.json and budtype.json fixtures were both located in my
project-level directory.  But I did have a data2.json file in the
original project directory from which I copied the fixture. I've since
deleted that project (and app), but it was on my PYTHONPATH at the
time I was trying to load the fixture in the new project.

So I'm curious - Does loaddata check all directories on the PYTHONPATH
for the named fixture? Or does it only check for fixtures inside the
project directory where the loaddata command was executed?

If it checks everything on the PYTHONPATH, I suspect I might have been
running into the stray fixture problem you mentioned.

> Sometimes, this process will reveal the blindingly obvious problem
> between the keyboard and chair :-)

This tends to be the root of nearly all my glitches!