So I'm continuing to look for the source of bugs on this front, and
wanted to add a note on a strange PYTHONPATH issue that I've
encountered.

When I fire up ipython from my project directory (using ./manage.py
shell) , the PYTHONPATH includes the following paths for my project:

 '/home/user/web/project/',
 '/home/user/web/project/..',
 '/home/user/web/project/../project',

That seems very strange to me, since I only intended to add the base
project directory to the list of PYTHONPATHS. To do so, I added the
following to my project directory's __init__.py :

    from os.path import dirname
    from sys import path

    path.append(dirname(__file__))

Even more strange, when I comment out that code, the pythonpath now
includes just the root project directory:
 '/home/user/web/project/',

However, when I fire up the normal python interpreter, the project is
not included on the pythonpath.

All of this, of course, has not resolved the issue, but leads me to
wonder if Django is:
a) automagically appending my project directory to the pythonpath when
I run the ./manage.py shell
b) somehow stomping on my pythonpath configurations when I run the
devserver

Anyone have any advice?