There is a bug in Python 2.6.1 (introduced in that version, it wasn't
there in 2.6) which is that the CRT manifests aren't set up correctly.
This prevents, for instance, compiling and using mod_python 2.6.1
against Apache without giving httpd.exe a manifest file.

http://bugs.python.org/issue4566

The good news is that this has been fixed in Python trunk; the bad
news is that I don't know when Python 2.6.2 is scheduled.
I would guess "after PyCon" http://www.python.org/community/pycon/ so
some time in April maybe.