On Mar 4, 12:47 pm, John Maines <jmai...@sun-sentinel.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I've installed Django 1.0 on Ubuntu and am trying to get it to run on
> Apache. Apache is installed, working fine, with mod-python also in
> place. I'm new at everything Linux.
>
> But when I try to run my app (a test blog), Apache gives an
> ImportError message (below) I have come across NUMEROUS references to
> this error message, and the solution usually seems to involve changing
> the Python Path. But nothing I try seems to work. I've tried using /
> user/local for a path, /var/www; the path to my app. Nothing works.
> Any suggestions?
>
> MOD_PYTHON ERROR
>
> ProcessId:      9980
> Interpreter:    'mysite'
>
> ServerName:     'ubuntu.ubuntu-domain'
> DocumentRoot:   '/var/www/'
>
> URI:            '/mysite'
> Location:       '/'
> Directory:      None
> Filename:       '/var/www/mysite'
> PathInfo:       ''
>
> Phase:          'PythonHandler'
> Handler:        'django.core.handlers.modpython'
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):

[snip]
> ImportError: Could not import settings 'settings' (Is it on sys.path?
> Does it have syntax errors?): No module named settings

I'm having the same issue as the OP. Each time I go to mysite.com/
myapp, Apache seems to look for a file called /var/www/myapp, instead
of launching the Django project I attempt to specify in my <Location>
directive.

I have a project called "mturk". I want to run it on from mysite.com/
myapp. Based on the answers to the OP's questions, it seems like I
should be putting something like this in one of my configuration
files:

<Location "/myapp/">
        SetHandler python-program
        PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython
        SetEnv DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE mysite.settings
        PythonOption django.root /home/rex/django/mturk
        PythonDebug On
        PythonPath "['/home/rex/django/mturk'] + sys.path"
</Location>

Some sources say this snippet should go in /etc/apache2/httpd.conf,
and some sources say it should go in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-
default. Which should I go with? Also, I read somewhere that I should
change my DocumentRoot to the path to the Django project, but wouldn't
that expose my database and my Python source?

Thanks,

Rex