Hello,

what follows is NOT a solution to your needs,  but I wanted to chime
in with a workflow that has proved effective to my three-developers
team. We have two "environments": developer and production. Each
developer has, in their respective home directory (be that Windows or
Linux,) a file called .project-name.properties (yes, hidden in Linux.)
There we have the specifics for each developer environment (database,
mail server, etc.)

This file is a text file formatted in such a way that can be read by
Python's own ConfigParser. Now, being that settings.py is plain
Python, what we do is, at the very top of that file (pseudo-code)

if can read and parse (user's home directory + "..project-name.properties):
  # we're dealing with the developer environment so set the settings
  # to what we parse from the file
else:
  # we're dealing with the production environment so the settings are
  # "fixed" to that of the production server

The advantage for us is that allows each developer to dynamically
configure the project to their own environment and at the same time we
have the production settings fixed in the source code. And all of this
neatly under revision control! Should the need arise for other
production settings we will branch.

So far this setup has worked well, although we're dealing with
smallish projects and teams. Don't know if this helps but I'd find
this thread interesting of others could provide their experiences.

HTH,
Carlos.