Yes, you're right.

But as the SpacelessMiddleware uses djangos' strip_spaces_between_tags,
which strips all whitespace between tags and not just empty lines,
I think it would have been fiddly to adapt it without touching django
internals.
In this case it seemed easier for me to use StripWhitespaceMiddleware,
which did what I wanted.

benjamin