Does anyone know if it's possible to switch the database backend in
Django at runtime (let's say I want to use dummy for something, but
then switch it back to the original after I'm done).

Is this possible using django.db.load_backend or something (I'm
doubting it as I see there is some module-level code in there that
takes info directly from settings).

I know it's a bit of a cardinal sin, but would altering settings at
runtime have any effect? Again probably no since there will still be
things pointing to the old backend instance, but worth a shot.