On Mar 20, 6:51 am, elm <ernesto.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are you sharing the web server with web applications written using
> > something else, such as PHP? If PHP is playing with the language
> > settings, you might be hitting an ordering problem. That is, it works
> > if any PHP code gets executed first in a specific process and doesn't
> > otherwise, or vice versa.
>
> Thanks Graham ... the system indeed has web  applications in PHP. And
> this could be a source of the conflict.
>
> To be honest ... I am a little bit lost with the coding configuration
> for receiving data from the DB.  Where should the coding be
> configured?
>
> I assume that my Django settings (and the DB configuration) should
> have the controls ... but is it also dependant on the apache, php,
> mod_python configuration?
>
> If php is messing around with the coding (and it is beyond my control)
> how can I force UTF8 in my django applications?

As far as I know, the NLS_LANG environment variable is the only way to
specify the client encoding in cx_Oracle.  If that can't be relied
upon within your Apache process, then I think you would need to run
Django either as a CGI or under a separate Apache process.

Another possibility is to upgrade your cx_Oracle to version 5.0.1.
Then cx_Oracle will return strings as unicode to begin with, and the
particular problem you're seeing should go away.  But it's only half a
solution, because strings passed in to cx_Oracle will still be utf8-
encoded and might still be mistaken for latin1.  The fix to *that*
would involve compiling cx_Oracle 5.0.1 with the WITH_UNICODE option,
and then fixing up the backend so that it passes in unicode.  I don't
think that's a major task, but it may require some knowledge of Django
internals.

Regards,
Ian