Thanks for the reply, Karen.

Yeah, I posted this before seeing that the feature list for 1.1
included read-only fields.  It was my mistake to only search through
the newsgroup and neglect searching the wiki before posting this (you
can never be too thorough, I guess).  It's just that so much of what I
have read in the newsgroup has been negative towards read-only
functionality in admin (meaning, it seems that people asking for it
have been getting shut down).  I was surprised it made it into the
"maybe" list at all (although very happy).  Thank you for your
advocacy.

I actually tried to update the 1.1 feature list page in the wiki last
night but I must have forgotten to press submit because the update
didn't take.  I just now updated the feature list page again so it
points to ticket #342, which discusses this feature (people have been
asking for it for a long time).

Nonetheless, part of the idea behind this thread was also to see who
might be interested in aiding with any implementation that could be
done, or at least in giving some ideas of how it should ideally work.
Maybe if people wanted to post their ideas here, that might make
sense, I don't know.

In terms of assigning an implementer and fleshing out a design/
implementation proposal, I would be happy to tackle that over the next
couple of weeks for consideration after you all finish the 1.1 roll-
out.  I'll open up a wiki page and get started, if that makes sense,
and then wait for you and everyone else to provide feeback on the
matter once 1.1 has gone out the door.  I would then be very happy to
do the coding.