Without seeing your settings.py file and urls.py, I can only guess,
but you probably don't have serving static media setup correctly. If
you're running this on the development server, you'll probably see a
404 next to /site_media/header_background.gif in the terminal window.
This means Django can't find the image, probably for the reasons I
stated above.

If it says 200 (or 304) next to the filename in the terminal window,
then Django has found the image, but your CSS/HTML is the problem.

Hope that helps.

- Martin