django-pagination makes use of the Djangos' built in pagination,
so it's more like a wrapper on top but no distinct 'engine'.

If you have a need for some special customized pagination,
I would recommend Djangos' own pagination,
but if you want easy setup and some more generic pagination funcionality
I would use django-pagination.

As Jakob mentioned,
it's really easy and well written and should cover most use cases.

Benjamin