Graham Dumpleton schrieb:

> On Mar 31, 1:43 am, Thomas Guettler <h...@tbz-pariv.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you only change the method, but no model, you don't need to call 'syncdb'.
>>
>> If your webserver is configured correct, then you just need to hit ctrl-r
>> (reload
>> in firefox).
>>
>> This should work if you use the development server of django. If
>> you use apache with mod_wsgi you need to set  maximum-requests=1. This will
>> reload
>> you code for every request. Of course the production server should have a
>> different
>> value.
>
> Don't use 'maximum-requests=1' for mod_wsgi daemon mode processes. It
> is a really bad idea and has performance which is much worse than CGI.
> This is because of the way that Apache parent process only polls once
> a second for child processes that have shutdown.

I use daemon mode and maximum-requests=1 for development very long. I can
only speak of my experience, and this is very good.

The key sequence:
  ctrl-x s Alt Tab ctrl-r (save file in emacs, change focus to firefox, reload
page)
gets typed very quick. I guess a monitor script which checks for code changes
every
second, won't detect the change every time before firefox reloads the page.

In the long run polling source files again and again will keep your CPU from
sleeping.
I guess this will use more energy and create more CPU fan noise.
If you use inotify for detecting source changes this might be different.

The performance of "reload daemon for every request" might be worse than CGI,
but it is fast enough for my development setup.

I know that you (Graham) are the apache and wsgi expert. I read the links you
sent. But
I don't see a need to change away from maximum-requests=1.

  Thomas

--
Thomas Guettler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/