On Sunday 05 April 2009 05:39:37 pm Russell Keith-Magee wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 6:12 AM, Joshua Partogi <joshua.j...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Django's passwords are salted[1] and hashed[2]. You cannot[3] retrieve
> >> them, and that's exactly the intent (well the intent is not that *you*
> >> cannot retrieve them, it's that nobody else can). If you need to send
> >> users their passwords, you have to generate new (random) passwords and
> >> send them that.
> >>
> >> Masklinn
> >
> > Thanks for the explanation Masklinn. :-)
> >
> > I'll find another way to send user their password.
>
> Don't. Ever. Do. This.
>
> You should _never_ store passwords in cleartext, and you should
> _never_ transmit passwords in cleartext. If you think I'm kidding,
> read up on what happened to Reddit.
>
> http://blog.moertel.com/articles/2006/12/15/never-store-passwords-in-a-data
>base
>
> Yours,
> Russ Magee %-)

I think that every web designer should read this,

 http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_AppSec_FAQ

and to address this question specifically:

http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_AppSec_FAQ#How_can_my_.22Forgot_Password.22_feature_be_exploited.3F

and the following four questions and answers.

In the end, it also says the same things as Russ does.

Mike
--
Arcserve crashed the server again.