I think the easiest way to get started is to follow the "Creating a
project" instructions from the Django documentation:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/intro/tutorial01/#intro-tutorial01

It is my understanding that these steps are necessary if you want to
use the Django framework. I think the Django framework is intended to
be the skeleton of the webpage with html, javascript, etc.. residing
within the framework. Html would reside in places like urls.py and
the /templates directory.

The documentation page listed above is really the best source for
starting a brand new project as it talks about database setup, the
development server, and some critical components of settings.py. Once
you get those running, you will have to give urls.py some attention as
it will handle routing the url to the html template.

I hope that gives a direction to move in!

-dls