I use an EmailBackend for auth, found on django snippets
http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/74/
(though the one pkenjora posted looks the same but slightly better.)

and a generate_username to create a clean unique username when creating
accounts,
also found on django snippets

http://www.djangosnippets.org/snippets/723/

I sure wish djangosnippets had a google search box attached.