On Tue, 2009-04-07 at 15:20 -0700, andybak wrote:
> I've got no really huge tables - the entire db is under 6meg and the
> site isn't even public yet so traffic is minimal. Memory just doesn't
> seem to go down. (until the process get's restarted by maxchild or by
> me killing it).

That's completely normal behaviour for Unix-like memory management. Once
memory is freed, it is returned to the process for later reuse (so a
subsequent malloc() call by that process will reuse memory that is had
earlier freed). This helps avoid some causes of memory fragmentation and
allows for contiguous large blocks to be malloc-ed by other processes.

It's also precisely why long running processes are often designed to
have their memory using portions restart periodically. It's the act of
exiting the process at the system level which returns the memory to the
system pool.

Regards,
Malcolm