On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Adam N <a...@varud.com> wrote:

> On Apr 8, 11:13 am, Russell Keith-Magee <freakboy3...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Adam Nelson <a...@varud.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Is there any way to ignore fixtures when running syncdb?  I'm using
>> > django-command-extensions and when using runscript from a previous
>> > datadump, I get a unique index violation.  I'd like to be able to
>> > ignore fixture imports.
>>
>> 1) Yes - you don't call your fixture initial_data. Any other name will
>> result in a perfectly loadable fixture, but that fixture won't be
>> automatically loaded.
>>
>> 2) If you're getting unique index violations from a fixture created by
>> dumpdata, i'll wager you're hitting #7052. The solution here is to
>> avoid dumping the auth permissions and contenttype datatypes as part
>> of the datadump, or to delete the entries corresponding to permissions
>> and contenttypes from your fixture. This may pose problems if your
>> data contains generic keys, or any foreign keys on the auth
>> permissions or content types, but otherwise you should be fine.
>
> Perhaps there is a way to have runscript send errors to stdout rather
> than dieing without any failure messages at all *sigh*.

Are you saying you got _no_ error message? How did you know you got a
foreign key constraint problem? Error messages should be output as
part of the error path (to stderr, not stdout). If you're not getting
any error messages, it would be interesting to know why.

That said - improving error reporting of fixture loading is the
subject of a separate ticket: #10200.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)