Use firebug to see if loading jquery. If not loading Jquery.
Try this in your terminal.

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04, but the path depends of your system operating.

export PYTHONPATH=/home/user/directory_of_your_project
export DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE=your_project.settings
django-admin.py runserver --adminmedia=/home/user/
directory_of_your_project/your_project/media/