Hi cgarvey

On 10 Apr., 15:25, cgarvey <cgar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It (migrating Django to appEngine via appEnginePatch) required changes to the
> models,

You are right, model changes are unevitable when migrating from a
relational database, MySQL for example to Google's big table.

Google doesn't use a relational database because it doesn't scale very
good. So developing an application with a hopefully big audience
anyway it might be worthwile to think about restricting on database
usage whith good scalability, eg not to use Django features which
don't work in the appEngine world.

Afterwards is should be easy to migrate to appEngine, you only have to
exchange the django model for the according appEngine model, eg
instead of writing
from django.db import models
  class xyz(models.Model):
    title=models.CharField() ...

you write
from google.appengine.ext import db
  class xyz(db.Model):
    title=db.StringProperty() ...

Hopefully a simple translation process and vice versa if you want to
switch to another provider once your code is based on database usage
with good scalability.

In my eyes that's at least the development target of the app-engine-
patch project.

Konrad