On Apr 11, 6:03 am, Malcolm Tredinnick <malc...@pointy-stick.com>
wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 20:17 -0700, patrickk wrote:
> > anyone?
>
> *sigh* If somebody had an answer, they would have answered already. It's
> kind of self-fulfilling prophecy!

your answer shows that it´s sometimes useful to ask twice.

> [...]
>

> > > is this intentional? the docs doesn´t explain this and my assumption
> > > is that different adminsite instances are here to split up the models
> > > into different sections (within the admin).
>
> That's the bug: you assumed.

well ... I guess if the docs are not explicit (enough), one has to
assume.

> Admin sites are for creating entirely separate admin sites.
>
> > > for my usecase, editors who are responsible for the cinemaprogram are
> > > not responsible for adding movies, so it doesn´t really make sense to
> > > show the model "Movie" to them. they only need that model to related
> > > their entries to. the problem here is the "related object lookup",
> > > because the link is relative (beginning with "../../../").
>
> If the Movie model isn't being edited inline and is used elsewhere,
> there needs to be a way to edit it. You could use permissions to prevent
> them creating new ones (possibly. I rarely use permissions, so
> experiment and check the documentation). So either edit it inline or be
> prepared to have it have it's own entry.
>
> Realise, also, that you're not required to show the model on the main
> template if you don't want to. You can customise the templates and not
> display particular models there.

just for the record (if anyone else reads this and has the same
problem):
I registered _all_ models with my main admin site and changed the
links within the related lookups to /main_admin/app/model/ instead
of ../../../app/model.

changing templates is probably the right thing to do. but compared
with changing 50 (or more) templates, the above "solution" is less
work (and I don´t see any disadvantage).

anyway: malcolm, thanks for your answer. you definitely clarified
things.

thanks,
patrick