Thanks for you reply, Jakob.

I'd prefer to solve the problem the Django way. The problem for me is
that what I'm trying to do is not the usual scenario of passing the
results of query through a view to a template. I haven't found a
precedent in the docs or a tutorial elsewhere that covers this.

In my case I need to firstly update a 3 dimensional dict/list (i.e.
nested 3 levels deep - not sure if 3 dimensional is an appropriate
description), then iterate over it and put those results into an html
page. I'm probably not looking hard enough, but I can't quite seem to
grasp how to achieve this with traditional Django views and Django
templates.