On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Phil Mocek
<pmocek-list-django-us...@mocek.org> wrote:

> I have a simple project using the flatpages app.  If I use
> manage.py to run dumpdata (with no command line arguments,
> redirecting output to a file), then flush, then loaddata (with no
> command line arguments, redirecting input from a file),

You were going well till this point.

Loaddata doesn't take input from stdin - it loads files that are
specified on the command line. Your database is empty because you have
specified no fixtures to load.

The sequence needs to go something like:

$ ./manage.py dumpdata > mydata.json
$ ./manage.py flush
... follow the prompts
$ ./manage.py loaddata mydata.json

>    The output of dumpdata can be used as input for loaddata.

This is correct, but in a different way than you have interpreted. The
output of dumpdata is in a format that loaddata can use - but that
doesn't mean it accepts input from stdin.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)