On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Col Wilson
<col.wilson.em...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm using generic views to render my pages
> (django.views.generic.date_based, django.views.generic.list_detail
> etc) and they're very handy.
>
> However, the app I'm trying to build would like a security and on
> reading the "User Authentication in Django" document, it just talks
> about adding authentication to the views.
>
> Generic views of course are buried in the django installation
> directories and you don't want to go messing about in there, so it's
> not obvious to me how I can do that.
>
> Can someone give me a hand please?

Middleware would be one option.  You could write a process_view
function that checks request.user and redirects requests with no
authentication.  This will all happen before the view gets called.
More here:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/http/middleware/#process-view

Colin