On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 10:17:29AM -0700, jrs_66 wrote:
> This is definitely the most angry forum I've ever seen... the
> kicker is that the anger is almost always coming from the people
> associated with the django project... hmmm..

In your previous thread, someone from the Django project helpfully
offered to assist you, but you ignored every question he asked in
his effort to better understand your question -- even after I
pointed this out in case you had done it by mistake, as tends to
happen when people mix posting styles, as you continue to do
despite notification that it is nearly-universally considered bad
etiquette to do so.

<http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/msg/c720c6d39ad7518e>

After people took the time to discuss your problem with you, you
dropped the conversation.  It has been five days since then.
Consider what effect this might have on other people's willingness
to take the time to help you.

I'm not angry, and I don't intend to be mean, I'm just telling you
how it is.  I can't give you a pat on the back or whatever else
might soften things for you over e-mail.  I believe you
misperceive this anger you describe, although when it seems that
you are wasting other people's time, it tends to make them angry,
so you might have detected some anger.  The solution is not to
complain about perceived anger then, "take your ball and leave,"
but to consider what you're doing that might be causing the
trouble, and stop doing it.

When people suggest that you Read The Fine Manual, it's usually an
indication that they believe you are being lazy and asking for
help when you could simply read the documentation -- that which
others have generously provided for you -- and help yourself.
They themselves probably did this.

As a general reference on what you should do before posting a
question to a technical forum such as this list, you may want to
take a look at
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before>.  In
order to make it clear that you *have* already read the
documentation, simply state so in your message and explain what
you have learned, what confuses you, and what else you want to
know.  Teaching you how to find answers should be much more useful
to you than simply answering your questions, so you might consider
being grateful to those who did so instead of simply ignoring you.

You might also want to take a look at:
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#not_losing>

The document to which I have linked is not authoritative, and is
definitely not filled with ideas that are accepted on this
particular list, but I've found that it makes a lot of sense and
helps newbies to understand why things are they way they are in
many technical forums.  I believe you'd be well off to read it.
I'm certainly no authority, but I honestly believe that my
to help solve more interesting problems than tutoring newbies on
mailing list etiquette.

Good luck.

--
Phil Mocek