On May 7, 11:23 am, Phil Mocek <pmocek-list-django-us...@mocek.org>
wrote:
> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 12:49:28PM -0500, Tim Chase wrote:
> > > was searching for "interface" or "IP address" but the tutorial
> > > says -- incorrectly or colloqially, depending on how you see
> > > things -- "So to listen on all public IPs (useful if you want
> > > to show off your work on other computers), use:".  There's no
> > > such thing as a "public IP".
>
> > I suspect the intent is "external IP" compared to an internal IP
> > (localhost/127.0.0.1).
>
> I agree.
>
> What makes the tutorial technically incorrect, and what prevents
> someone who seeks information about using the 0.0.0.0 IP address
> from finding that passage using reasonable search terms, is its
> omission of the word "address".  The subject at hand is an
> address, not a protocol, yet what was written is "public IP" not
> "public IP address".  This is fine for casual conversation, but --
> for reasons including that which was discovered in this discussion
> -- not for a technical tutorial whose target audience is software
> developers.
>
> --
> Phil Mocek

Sorry for the confusion.
I have definitely tried it listening only to localhost (i.e. running
python manage.py runserver without additional arguments)

My question is mainly about reasons why the very basic python
manage.py runserver doesn't work
and creates the error 10104 getaddrinfo failed

I only mentioned 0.0.0.0:8000 because this was suggested on a separate
thread as a solution (and it worked for the guy asking). It does not
work for me.

It is something wrong with my computer (and I really don't think I
have any Firewall active - not entirely certain, but pretty sure). I
just did the same setup on a different computer and it is working, but
I need it to work on my own.

Any ideas?
Thanks