On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 3:48 AM, martin f krafft <madd...@madduck.net>wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I am new to Django and could not find the answer to a very important
> consideration I need to make before diving into Django more. I used
> to work with Zope and Plone, and one of the major problems were
> upgrades, not of Zope or Plone, but of all the products that were
> needed for a particular site.
>
> Django also uses pluggable apps. Between djangopluggables and
> code.google.com (and possibly other sites), there's a lot of
> external applications providing great functionality. However, I am
> reluctant to rely on those, mainly due to my experience with Plone
> and Zope.
>
> What's Django's strategy to integrate external pluggables into the
> main distribution and support it across upgrades? For instance,
> django-tagging[0] seems like a good candidate for core
> functionality. Does it stand a chance?
>
> 0. http://djangoplugables.com/projects/django-tagging/
>
> What's the process for integrating such external functionality into
> Django's core?
>
> PS: Django seems a lot thinner and more elegant than Plone/Zope, so
> upgrades are likely to be less of a problem, but still...
>
> --
> martin;              (greetings from the heart of the sun.)
>  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:"; n...@madduck
>
> "security here. yes, ma'am. yes. groucho glasses. yes, we're on it.
>  c'mon, guys. somebody gave an aardvark a nose-cut: somebody who
>  can't deal with deconstructionist humor. code blue."
>                      --
> http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/armadillos.txt<http://azure.humbug.org.au/%7Eaj/armadillos.txt>
>
> spamtraps: madduck.bo...@madduck.net

http://jacobian.org/writing/what-is-django-contrib/  here is a description
of what one of the core developers see as the role of django contrib.  It
should be noted that 2 of the core devs said at euro django con that that
they prefer the core of django to remain slim.

Alex

say it." --Voltaire
"The people's good is the highest law."--Cicero