I'm getting this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/django-code/aubrey_explore/tests.py", line 18, in
testSpeaking
    self.assert_(markdown(self.bla.collection_description_short))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/django/contrib/markup/
templatetags/markup.py", line 72, in markdown
    return mark_safe(force_unicode(markdown.markdown(smart_str(value),
extensions, safe_mode=safe_mode)))
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/markdown.py", line 1722, in
markdown
    return md.convert(text)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/markdown.py", line 1614, in
convert
    self.source = removeBOM(self.source, self.encoding)
  File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/markdown.py", line 74, in
removeBOM
    if text.startswith(bom):
UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position
292: ordinal not in range(128)